|Starting with our initial intake evaluation, we offer services and support to bring our child to age appropriate development whether it takes 6 months or 3 years. We believe in a team approach throughout the process, involving family members participation each step of the way. From the very start, we develop a complete understanding of the child within the full context of his family life.
Our approach is dedicated to identifying the resources that are the right fit for your child. We will help you to expand your support, building a capable and compassionate intervention network of care for your young child.
Why Early Intervention?
According to long-range studies, there are three primary reasons why early intervention is beneficial:
- to enhance the child's development
- to provide support and assistance to the family
- to maximize the child's and family's benefit to society
What is the Early Intervention Program?
The Early Intervention Program is a statewide program that provides many different types of early intervention services to children with delays or disabilities and their families. If your child is eligible for the Early Intervention Program, early intervention services are provided at not cost to you. Health Insurance, including private insurance and Medicaid, is used to pay for early intervention services in New York State.
Parents--or others who interact with a baby, such as a grandparent, caretaker, or family member usually notice the problem first. But many parents don't know what to do next. We can help.
Here's how it works:
1. The person who suspects a child is not developing as expected calls the local government office, such as 311 in New York City, to ask for a referral to EIP.
2. The referral is made, and the child is assigned a Service Coordinator who will guide the family through the process. The Coordinator will assist in identifying evaluation sites, explaining the eligibility criteria, and facilitating the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) meeting where the services, frequency and location of services will be determined.
That's where we come in.
At metrochildren we have the breadth and depth of experience to evaluate children for eligibility in the Early Intervention Program, and to assist in the development of the IFSP. Parents are the heart of this process: we listen carefully as they articulate their goals for their child. We then build a plan which serves as a map to:
- the services that will help these outcomes be met
- the service providers and place of service
- the ways services will be used to reach the outcomes
Once your child's services are authorized, we are ready and set to go!